[Englisch] Facharbeit von Cem Anar: "Arcades and Beat Em Ups"

Das Hardedge Forum wurde am Abend des 30.01.2023 eingestellt und in ein Archiv umgewandelt. Bitte nicht versuchen sich zu registrieren oder einzuloggen.

• [Englisch] Facharbeit von Cem Anar: "Arcades and Beat Em Ups"

Hallo und Willkommen.

Ich habe eine Facharbeit in Englisch zum Thema "Arcades" geschrieben, wobei ich im Text eher die Themen "Beat Em Ups" und "Gaming as a Passion" beschrieben habe. Da ich meine Textarbeit nicht vorenthalten will und es auch definitiv keinem Schaden wird, sich das ganze mal durchzulesen, habe ich vor, die Facharbeit nach der Rückgabe der Bewerteten Version hier zu veröffentlichen. Dies kann allerdings bis Ostern oder sogar noch länder dauern.

Eingeteilt ist der Text in insgesamt 6 Kapitel, plus 5 Kapitel an Anhängen. An Quellen wird hier allerdings nur wenig geboten, da mehr als die Hälfte entweder Interviews oder Gespräche von und mit Szenen-Internen Personen sind(unter anderem David Sirlin(ja ich weiß) und Henry Cen). Der Text bezieht sich primär auf die Amerikanische Szene, kann aber in sehr vielen Hinsichten auch auf die Deutsche Szene als Referenz dienen. Insgesamt sind es ca 8-9 Seiten Text und ca 4 Seiten Quellen.

Wohl bemerkt ist der Text auf Englisch auf einem mittlerem bis hohem Niveau geschrieben worden, und sollte daher auf jeden Fall gewisse Englisch-Kenntnisse Vorraussetzen. Auf Bedarf kann ich natürlich auch auf eine Übersetzungs-Nachfrage Antworten, dies allerdings erst nachdem ich die Original-Fassung hier veröffentlicht habe.

Das war's auch schon. Vielen Dank für die Aufmerksamkeit und bis zur Veröffentlichung des Textes!

Disclaimer:
      Jeglicher Text, der hier von dem User "Schweinsedge", auch bekannt unter den Synonymen "KenDeep", Ken_Deep", "Wirbeltier" und "Sho|Ryu|Ken", veröffentlicht wurde, wurde von Cem Anar, Schüler des Gymnasium Petrinums, im Jahr 2011 verfasst und sind geistiges Eigentum jenen Schülers. Jegliche Quellen, die ausserhalb der Arbeit von Cem Anar liegen, wurden in einem Quelltext zusammengefasst und eingefügt, und wurden bei sowohl ihren richtigen Namen als auch in ihren Synonymen angegeben, mit Ausnahme einer Person, die auf ein Anonymität bestand. Hiermit ist dieser Disclaimer eine Unterschrift zur Bestätigung, dass folgende Textteile von Cem Anar, also mir, verfasst wurden.

Inhaltsverzeichnis:
      1. What are Arcades and what do I have to do with them?
      2. The Downfall of Arcades
      3. Survival of Arcades
      4. High-Level Gaming of "Fighting Games"
      5. Addiction or Passion?
      6. Synapsis; Or: Why not everything went according to plan
      7. Attachments

Hier die Facharbeit als WordDokument + Anhänge:
      fastshare.org/download/Facharbeit_Cem_Anar.rar

Pass:
      Spoiler anzeigen

Quellcode

1. toomuchyomi

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 5 mal editiert, zuletzt von KenDeep ()

• What are Arcades and what do I have to do with them?

Arcades, or Videogame-halls, as they are more commonly known, is a seldom topic in today’s society. While Arcades still enjoy a lot of population in the east, foremost in Japan, China and Korea, they have become almost non-existent in Europe and America. Especially Europe had to suffer from the popularity of home-consoles (such as the PlayStation, Nintendo Wii and Sega Dreamcast, though the latter one makes an exception), and thus Arcade-Owners were forced into bankruptcy. However, many Arcade-Games are regarded as classics and still enjoy a huge fan base. The genre I am going to talk about even goes further: Beat ‘em Ups are regarded as a great opportunity to test skill and mind between two players.
      But Arcades defines even more than just the Gaming-Machines. Arcade is a big culture around the globe and gives many children and grown-ups alike an opportunity to prove themselves. It’s not about “popularity” or “superiority”, but rather about engaging with the community in a race to the top, learning something every time you spend a quarter in those machines and talk about every bit of detail you learned. Long talk short: Arcade is a lifestyle.
      Nowadays Arcades are known for having “Old-school”-Games in their repertoire, even though new games are still commonly produced for those halls (e.g. King of Fighters XIII[1] and Tekken Tag Tournament 2).
      Since I am in contact with those Arcade-Games, though not with the Arcades themselves, day after day, I could probably say that it is one of my greatest hobbies and most important influences of all. This being a fact, one could say that this is the sole reason for me doing this collective text work. However, another goal of mine is to try and teach people something that cannot be taught, something that has to be experienced in order to fully learn its capabilities. I will try my best to describe what I could call my life.
      But not only I am taking this topic very seriously. In order to emphasize the importance of the community, I will use several interviews and discussions of some “experts”, even though there is no one who could be called an scientist of Arcade-gaming, simply because the community is analyzed and brought forward by each and every one participating in it.
      One of the people I will refer to in this work is formally known as David Sirlin, but also called “Low Strong”. He is a former professional chess player and now an employee of Capcom, known for his balancing work for the game “Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo HD Remix”. Foremost known as the “arcade guru”, he is also an author of the book “Playing to Win: Becoming a Champion”, which describes a great deal of how important it is to see the game as a competition.
      I will also quote from the discussion between the renowned Arcade-Owner “Henry Cen” and famous Marvel vs. Capcom 2 player Arturo Sanchez, who practically grew up in Cen’s Arcade. As Henry Cen’s Arcade is one of the oldest, and unfortunately, the latest Arcade to have shut down, and Sanchez being a regular player who trains for 4 hours a day, I believe that they did indeed a good job on explaining to why the situation of Arcades is very shaky.
      A big community of Germany, called “Hardedge”, is referred to quite a few times in this work. The reason this being is that Hardedge is the prominent website for high quality information concerning the German group of Arcade-Players, especially concerning the “Beat ‘Em Up”-Genre. Even though the forum is marked with Internet history, very useful information can be found if “one digs deeper into the turd”. For an example, the Wiki of the page is not the ordinary Wiki one knows: Only a selected few can edit, add and delete pages. Those selected are usually regarded as high-level gamers in their respective games. I too am able to edit the Wiki, however only so much of my game: Everything offside the game “King of Fighters 98” is off limits to me, and the same goes for everyone else for their respective game. Should one however in any way make it to edit pages like he pleases, he will get banned and the former page will be restored. That is why the Wiki of Hardedge is quite informative and trustworthy.
      Additionally, I will also refer to an interview between the German player “SinJul” and me. SinJul is a student of Japanese studies, and also a common visitor of Japan. At this point, I would like to thank him granting me this wish, with which I should be easily able to compare the Arcades of Japan and these of America. SinJul himself is also a formidable gamer, having good knowledge in games like “Karnovs Revenge” or “King of Fighters 2002: UM”.

[1] Attachments: Page 2; lines 3-5; versuscity.net/2010/02/18/king-of-fighters-13-at-aou/

Jeglicher Text, der hier von dem User "Schweinsedge", auch bekannt unter den Synonymen "KenDeep", Ken_Deep", "Wirbeltier" und "Sho|Ryu|Ken", veröffentlicht wurde, wurde von Cem Anar, Schüler des Gymnasium Petrinums, im Jahr 2011 verfasst und sind geistiges Eigentum jenen Schülers. Jegliche Quellen, die ausserhalb der Arbeit von Cem Anar liegen, wurden in einem Quelltext zusammengefasst und eingefügt, und wurden bei sowohl ihren richtigen Namen als auch in ihren Synonymen angegeben, mit Ausnahme einer Person, die auf ein Anonymität bestand. Hiermit ist dieser Disclaimer eine Unterschrift zur Bestätigung, dass folgende Textteile von Cem Anar, also mir, verfasst wurden.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von KenDeep ()

• The Downfall of Arcades

Arcades have enjoyed huge success in the early days of the first Arcade-Games until the year 2000. Many companies, like SNK, CAPCOM or DATA EAST have made considerably good money in the gaming market, with the first and latter one having made collaborations every now and then. While they have made good use of the gaming-community, even their creative designs could not stop what would be later known as the “Console-Wars” or “Bit-Wars”, with the Bit possessing a number that relates to the amount of bit the consoles had at that time (for an example, the 32-Bit War, involving the PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn).[1]
      With Home-Consoles gaining more and more popularity, Arcades seized to exist. The biggest problem with Arcades were the “pay to play”-system, involving the players to insert a quarter in order to receive a “credit”, whereas in the home-systems, you only buy the machine, and from that point on you are good to go, having limited “continues” before you see the game-over screen. So, at that point, it was commercially nonsense to run an Arcade, since most homes would have a gaming-device, making Arcades rare-visited. As an addition to this, Arcade-Machines are fetching several thousands of dollars. Companies tried to avoid this financial circumstance by creating “cartridge-arcades”, where the machines were ready to go, only needing a game which was sold at a price of 200 to 500 euros per piece.
      But even these measurements weren’t enough to keep the Arcades living. Home consoles were prizing at a much more payable amount than any Arcade-machine, since the prize for a home-console was as high as a game for an Arcade-Machine, making red numbers a common occurance. SNK for an example had to go into insolvency in the year 2001, even with great games like King of Fighters 98: Dreammatch, Metal Slug X or Samurai Shodown. They revived however after a group of former employees founded SNK Playmore. However, the biggest change was the audience the company wanted to address: While they used to concentrate on Arcade-Games, they started releasing more and more home-console-games, slowly gaining some of their old glory, which shows what changes need to be made so a company survives in the new age of gaming.

[1] listal.com/list/console-wars

• Survival of Arcades

While Arcades have practically died out in most of Europe and USA, there are those who try to keep the scene alive. However, the difficulty of doing so is great, causing many Arcades to close down. Even Henry Cen, longtime owner of the Chinatown Fair Arcade, who was regarded as probably the commercial head in the community, was forced to close down his facility.[3] He commented in an interview 2 years before his closedown that “If people want the Arcade Scene to be alive, the Arcade-Owners need to use their head and do some math”[4] , noting the financial issue Arcades are carrying.
      What should be noted though is that finance is not an issue if the crowd really is aching for Arcades. Many Asian countries still have dozens of Arcades; they are practically full of them. Especially Japan still has an incredible Arcade-culture – Tokyo for an example is regarded as one of the hubs for Arcade-Gaming.[5] Even though Fighting Games alone give the Arcades a huge push, not they alone are a reason for the living culture, so “you shouldn’t badmouth the other Genres”. [6]
      In a general comparison to America, Japans culture is really astonishing. Even people of the older generations still tend to go to the Arcades and spend quarters every now and then.[7] In America and Germany however, games have a bad reputation for making people addicted and brutal. The politics don’t see any difference between Gambling-machines and Arcade-machines, so the Arcades are obligated to certain laws and rules that makes the difficult market even more difficult: For instance, in Germany, you are not allowed to let people under the age of 18 play those games, who are actually the audience those machines wants to attract. This would be quite understandable if the games where like Gambling-machines. But the fact is: They are not. You cannot win anything from playing a game but having fun. I will further address this topic later.
      Another important point of why the Arcade-Scene is so lively in Japan is the competitive aspect. Many tournaments in Japan are held in Arcades and with Arcade-Machines. “Yeah, I think so. Fighting Games are all about the competition, and with no tournaments, the competitive aspect would be reduced by a whole bit.”[8] , states SinJul. While there are also many tournaments in America, they are all held with home-consoles, abandoning original Arcade-Games and only supporting the ports. The biggest problem with tournaments however is that they are all aimed at a global level. Locals are way less attracted, and due to this, only the hardcore gamers are actually visiting these tournaments since for any other person, it would be a waste of time.
      With the mass of people neither turning up nor knowing about these events, Arcades themselves get uninteresting for them. In such a way, one could say that Arcades are only lucrative for the hardcore player, ignoring the casual gamer. However, in Japan, Casual Gaming is part of the culture. SinJul mentions how non-competitive games have been regularly visited, too: “I have seen people play Rhythm-Games, but I doubt that there were any kinds of tournaments.”[9] So even if the competitive side of Arcade-Games were gone, there would still be a great deal of visitors concerning the Arcades, even though they are in no way comparable to these of the Fighting-Games as “they don’t meet up every day like with other games”. [10]
      Make no mistake about it: The Japanese Arcade-Culture is, compared to many other countries like America, England or especially Germany, still very alive. Even though there were some shutdowns on some occasions[11], Arcade-Games are still being produced[12] and Arcades are still on a roll. Even more so, the competitive aspect is even greater in Japan, and this should be no surprise: Japan is generally regarded as the superior Fighting-Game country in many games like Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Super Street Fighter IV or Street Fighter Alpha 3, even though this is not the case for all games, as America for instance was famous for their Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 gameplay, and even nowadays they still are regarded as the superior Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 force.

[3] Attachments: Page 6
      [4] Attachments: Page 5; ll. 5-6
      [5] Attachments: Page 7; ll. 30
      [6] Attachments: Page 7; ll. 25
      [7] Attachments: Page 8; ll. 8-9
      [8] Attachment: p. 7; ll. 11-13
      [9] Attachment: p. 7; ll. 15-16
      [10] Attachment: p.7; ll. 7-8
      [11] Attachment: p.8; ll. 9-11
      [12] Attachment: p.3

• High-level gaming of “Beat ‘Em Ups”

Even though Beat ‘Em Ups are often regarded as simple games, it is actually no surprise that even these games are played as a profession and a sport. It is quite comparable to chess, despite the fact that the strategic base is very different. The biggest difference is the timing: Chess is a timeless sport. While your opponent may think at the same time you do what you could do and what he should do, the moves are always done one by one. Beat ‘em Ups on the other hand are, as David Sirlin describes it, “double-blind games”, meaning that both participants act at the same time, without even being aware of what move they are going to make.[1] Thanks to this, Fighting Games are a lot more about guessing what the opponent may do, while chess is a general tactics-game with much less mind games and much more chance-taking of “what tends to go wrong and what tends to go right”.[2]
      However, there is even more to it: Chess is a pure thinking-game, involving no execution-skills whatsoever. It doesn’t take practice to move a figure from A1 to A2. It is only about “why should I move him from A1 to A2?”. However, Fighting Games require insane execution-skills. What is meant by that is the following: In a game, you might think “I have hit him with a weak attack, so I should hit him with a strong follow-up”. Quite contrary, it is often the case that people choose not to do this: The reason being that they do not have the time to confirm that they have hit with the first attack, so theoretically, if the opponent had blocked the attack and I anticipated a hit, I might leave myself wide open, should I continue with that follow-up. Execution also describes the ability to accordingly hit a string of attacks without fail, which is a more difficult task than it may at first glance seem. Many moves are few frames long[3], resulting in the requirement of often frame-perfect movement and button-pressing. An example is given in the attachment.
      The maybe most known event to the public is called “Evo”[4], and occurs every year, usually in Las Vegas. It gained much hype after the so called “The Beast is Unleashed” clip, a video segment of a Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike match involving Daigo Umehara (nicknamed The Beast) making a huge comeback against Justin Wong with the games feature called “Parrying”, which allows you to nullify an attack by pressing forward few frames before the move hits you or at the exact frame it hits you. The reason that I mention this is that Evo is a dream-event for many people involved in the Fighting-Game community. For many years, they have used Arcade-Hardware and thus, people from all over the world were able to participate in this tournament, one of them being Daigo Umehara hailing from Japan, who, in the end, won the Evo Tournament in 2004 in the game Street Fighter III 3rd Strike.
      The general concept of a high-level fighting-game match is differing from game to game. In King of Fighters 98, as an example, jumping is an important aspect of the game, involving many offensive maneuvers. In Super Street Fighter II: Turbo however, jumping can be fatal. As to explaining why this is the case and how to play each game would be impossible to sum up, I will explain what the mostly occurring strategy-concepts are.
      In general, a game consists of several characters to choose from. Each character has a determined move-set, which makes each mostly unique. At this point already, one can make an important strategic choice. Will he play a defensive character? Or rather an offensive one? Does he want to rush down? Or play with patience? Is damage an important factor or does he rather want huge combos, etc.… . However, every character is not as strong as any other. Because of this, there is a list called “Tier List”[5], which is built up with the help of a “Matchup List”[6], which on the other hand shows how much of an advantage a character has against another. As you can see, fighting-games have a huge consideration-basis going on, and so far, the game itself hasn’t even been an important aspect.
      The so-called “zoning” is a strategic fundament that goes with every game. Summed up, zoning, or also called spacing, is the ability to estimate distances between you and your opponent and, accordingly to that, choose between options you have to either close the space or widen it up.
      Summed up, Fighting-Games are a lot about hand-eye-coordination and calculating certain situations to foresee a possible outcome in order to change just that outcome.

[1] Attachments: Page 1; Line 4-9

[2] Attachments: Page 1-2; Line 1.32 – 2.1

[3] Attachment: Page 1; Line 9-12

[4] evo2k.com/

[5] wiki.hardedge.org/index.php/Tier_List

[6] wiki.hardedge.org/index.php/Matchup

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von KenDeep ()

• Addiction or Passion?

A topic that truly is in everybody’s minds. “Gaming-machines are addictive”, “All Gamers are addicted”, such statements and even more have been the norm for many years. But how true are these?
      Gamers are in general called nerds, and who wants to argue: Every gamer is a nerd. But what is a nerd? According to many people, a nerd is somebody who is addicted to games, who is an outcast to social life and who is unable to communicate via verbal languages. But how true is that? According to many online dictionaries, this is very true. Only the more shocking is the actual truth: A nerd is somebody who is especially talented with computers and digital medias, exceeding the average knowledge of a normal person. That, and nothing more, is a nerd. The reason why many dictionaries tend to go overboard with the term “nerd” is because else many people who are globally accepted and even enjoy a cult-status would have to be referred to as a nerd. The kind of Stephen Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino and George Lucas are in fact nerds, and they got famous for it. So why exactly are Gamers and Nerds referred to as “socially out casted”? This is a question many gamers have tried to find an answer for, me included. In general, it is known that Hollywood used the gaming-consoles to create a figurine so people could associate all these high-tech machines with somebody. That somebody is referred to as the “Nerd”, usually having a white, buttoned shirt and glasses, highly intellectual, but also extremely shy to society. With that, it is possible that they wanted to emphasize the thought that knowledge is not always a gift, but in some cases even a burden.
      So a nerd has a passion for high-tech stuff. But at what point is it addiction? A person is then addicted if he forces himself to play a game just for the point of playing it. Is that the case with a nerd? Certainly not.
      So, from the perspective of a gamer, the accusation of “being addicted” is completely false. So do I think, of course. But, a question still remains: What exactly is the reason to be so passionate about games?
      Of course, there is the every-so-often referred competitive side of gaming. You want to compete and find out how much of an understanding you have for the game. If you lose, your understanding is lower than that of your opponent. If you win, it’s the other way around. But not all Arcade-Games are about competition, so what else could it be?
      Most certainly, it’s the challenge. Humanity has always been looking for the challenge, to prove himself how strong he is. It’s not a bit different with video-games. Searching into the depth of all the coding of video games, we try to understand how they work, and what flaws they could have. It’s a mass of information we want to comprehend, and if we don’t understand all that information, we feel unsatisfied with ourselves, we feel disappointed with ourselves not being able to handle all the man-made inventions, and foremost: We feel like we lack a certain degree of ourselves not having accomplished a goal that we have set for ourselves.
      In order to accomplish our own goals, we search the system to find its flaws and to find a way to accomplish just this goal. But this process is extremely time-consuming, taking an average of 8 hours per day(at least for me). So at the same time we not only amuse, but also stress ourselves with games and machines, and, to a certain extent, giving the impression of being “socially out casted”, when this is not actually true. We still spend time meeting with friends, we still spend time doing sports. But just like a pro-football-player would spend several hours on the field to train his technique, we spend several hours defining ours, or eventually finding new techniques, inventing new things or adding new ideas.

• Why not everything went according to plan

With this synapsis, I want to end the text work with a big note:
      Unfortunately, I could not do the Genre its justice, and so I had to cut a lot of specific information. The reason for this is because I wanted to write about Arcades in general, which I would have driven too far away, would I have explained the details of “how to play the games on a high level”. It would have also been a lot different, had I written about the German Arcade-Scene, since there is no Arcade-Scene at all. For I may have huge knowledge in this area, I think this fact actually backfired in this work, since I barely managed to gather some sources to back up my arguments. A lot of this text work was written by pure experience, and I would lie if I’d say that this sheet explains the most important aspects of the gaming-community, as there is a great variety of the capabilities with this topic: Speedrunning, meaning that somebody will try to play a game as fast as possible, Modding, implying that people get creative with the source of the game and change the world according to their wishes, Parodying, in such a way that they use in-game cutscenes and dub them for a comical effect, and so on, and so forth. So the possibilities for explaining games were simply too great, because there is not one gaming-community. Every person has his own way of entertaining himself with these games, and thus would be a summarization near to impossible to accomplish.
      Another big problem was, as I mentioned in the beginning, that Arcades is a rare picked topic. Taking this into account, there is almost no way to find a source that is really saying what I was searching for: How important is the Arcade-Culture and in what way can one be passionate about it. I was quite lucky to know somebody who knows both the German and Japanese culture very well, so I still could reach the conclusion:
      Japan is definitely the superior country, not only on high-level gaming, but also in quality and quantity of Arcades. In America, on the other hand, Arcades are associated with hard work and no interest from the public, even though the people there are quite formidable in these games. And they all play it in such a way that it cannot be referred to as an addiction: Gamers not only in America or Japan, but all around the world are passionate about their hobby, and they do not plan on changing that.

• Street Fighter vs. Chess: A Interview with David „Low Strong“ Sirlin

Spoiler anzeigen
      D.Sirlin: When it comes to reading the opponents mind, I think there’s way less in chess, that it’s a turn-based game, whereas in Street Fighter, for all intended purposes it’s a simultaneous double-blind game – that’s how I refer to it… meaning that at the very moment that you make your move, at that split-second in time, the opponent has made his move, but you aren’t even aware of what it is yet, because you can’t even just consciously proceed it. We are talking about a game that moves forward every 60/sec(Street Fighter is based on frames that are 60 the second)[1], so, at a certain frame , if I press a button, you might just have jumped or you might have done a dragon-punch[2], but I’m not really aware until a little bit later. And not everything on the game is like that, because sometimes I see that you do a move and I react to it, but there is a lot of things that can’t be reacted to, they must be guessing. So in that way Street Fighter relies a lot more on knowing the mind of the opponent and intuition. But I don’t try to see that it’s better than chess or something – that’s only one dimension. In chess, the possibility space of all possible chess games is absurdly large. I heard some statistics once, that if every particle in the universe were made into a processor that can processes a bit of information per second, and you had the whole thing rigged up as a parallel computer, that it could not go through every chess position until longer than the length of the universe has been in the existence, it’s that big. It’s that a ridiculously large game, and the human mind is nowhere near able to conceive what’s going on in the chess board ten moves ahead of you. We used to think that chess master had that ability, that they could know what that board was from a complicated position ten moves ahead. But now we know that’s not really how they think. It really is a lot about intuition. They don’t have some photographic, exactly peace by peace view of ten by twenty moves in the future. They just have so much intuition about “this configuration of pieces tends to go wrong and this one tends to go right” and you like to see this pattern and you don’t like to see that pattern. So there is a lot of intuition of pattern-matching going on in chess, that is no concept in Street Fighter.

[1] Games often run at a 60 frames per second rate, meaning that all-in-all changes, may they be engine-wise or graphical, occur every 16s ms

[2] A Dragon Punch is an upward-angled attack, usually superior to jump attacks; wiki.hardedge.org/index.php/Dragon_Punch

Release of Arcade Games

Spoiler anzeigen
      Release of “KoFXIII”(King of Fighters 13)
      “According to a couple of arcade operator friends of mine, SNK[Shin Nihon Kikaku] will be showing off the latest iteration of the King of Fighters series at AOU [Arcade Operators Union] on the 19th and 20th.
      King of Fighters 13 will apparently run on the Type X2 hardware and will begin operation during the last part of April. I don’t have any other information but most likely things will start to pop up this weekend.”
      versuscity.net/2010/02/18/king-of-fighters-13-at-aou/

You don’t make money of a quarter: Discussion between Arcade-Gamers and Arcade-Owners

Spoiler anzeigen
      Henry Cen: How are you supposed to make money for future games in arcades when you’re paying 25 cents? Every match is about five minutes from start to finish. By the time you put your quarter up and end the game and leave the machine it’s five minutes.

Arturo Sanchez: Well, that’s what I was saying.

Cen: How am I supposed to make money off a quarter?

Sanchez: Yeah I know, but some at South California do it.

Cen: Oh no, they don’t. I went to California 3 weeks ago, if you go to AI, Super Arcade, they’re horrible conditioned! They got broken stuff left and right, they’re joysticks haven’t been changed since god knows how long. Longer than CF !

Sanchez: I have to give Henry credit, because without Henry, as well I might talk trash about him, I would not be who I am today, many people actually… Eddy, OJ … there would be no scene, man. So like, thanks Henry, I came here ten years ago and now like, I’m a killer.

Cen: I run the arcades for the community…
      Let me tell you: In NYC, when you open an arcade, all your profit goes to rent. If you go anywhere to Manhatten, maybe, if you go to Harlem now, they’re charging you at least 5 Dollars if you score 3 or greater.

Sanchez: Hey Henry, I’m gonna ask you now on camera, man. Can you remove the 24 limit on Street Fighter 4, please?

Cen: No.

Sanchez: Why not?

Cen: Because I need to make money.

Sanchez: But they’re playing anyway, you’ll still make the money…

Cen: No, people play anyway, regardless…

Sanchez: I mean, I guess, make that money, I’ll still come and play, but, like, damn man.

Cen: If people want the Arcade Scene to be alive, the Arcade-Owners need to use their head and do some math, because you don’t make money off quarters in today’s inflation.

American Arcade Closing Down

Spoiler anzeigen
      Sad news is coming in tonight. Alongside on-again-off-again reports of Arcade Infinity (in Rowland, California) closing its doors, Henry Cen, operator of Chinatown Fair in New York City, posted a notice on his facebook announcing the closure of the famed arcade.

Cen noted to SRK, "We may be closed by the end of the month. The eviction notice says the 23rd." The arcade age was hanging by a thread as it is. With only a very small handful of operating arcades friendly to fighting game players left, one has to take what little time that remains with those establishments (and the memories kept there-in) and enjoy them.
      shoryuken.com/content/america-…air-arcade-infinity-3678/

Interview with SinJul

Spoiler anzeigen
      Me: Hello SinJul, thank you for doing the interview with me. To the first question: How alive is the Arcade scene in Japan?

SinJul: Especially lively, even more so in Tokyo. It’s pretty much fired up from the middays and ongoing. Elsewhere there is much going on when Ranking Battles or Games for Free occur. Even smaller, rather unpopular Games have a small fan-base. Of course they don’t meet up every day like with other games.

Me: You already mentioned Ranking Battles. Could you tell if these were an important aspect for the lives of Arcades?

SinJul: Yeah, I think so. Fighting Games are all about the competition, and with no tournaments, the competitive aspect would be reduced by a whole bit.

Me: Does this also go for different genres, e.g. Rhythm-Games?

SinJul: I have seen people play Rhythm-Games, but I doubt that there were any kinds of tournaments. I definitely think they are rather for relaxing, which you can do with Fighting-Games also. A friend of mine played a Rhythm-Game when we went to the Arcades. I doubt he is any kind of competitive player. *laugh*

Me: Would you say, according to that statement, that Fighting-Games are a sole reason for the survival of Arcades, or do you think that this would stretch it?

SinJul: Fighting-Games supposedly do bring in the most money, which I could see at a statistic from last year. So, yeah, I think they do have the most responsibility, even though you shouldn’t badmouth the other Genres. There are lots of people who couldn’t care less for Fighting-Games and instead sit in front of a Pachislot or a Football-Game.

Me: You confirmed the activity of Arcades. How about the Quantity of Arcades? Are there many of them, and more important: Where?

SinJul: There are some. Tokyo is in general the hub for Arcades, especially Akihabara. There were also some big ones in Osaka, even though I also found some smaller ones. They usually just had a big room with a pair of machines. There were however some close-downs of Arcades, and a statistic from Capcom confirmed this.

Me: On to the last question: Do you believe that Arcades in Japan will one day fall onto a standard similar to that of the Germans or Americans, or will the scene prove themselves strong?

SinJul: I personally doubt that the Arcades will die, as it is the case with Germany or America. Nothing has been getting rid of in Japan, really. The culture is simply different. Even the older generation play many videogames, even more Retro-Games. You could say that the decrease will go on, but that the Arcades will prevail.

Me: Thank you very much for the interview.

SinJul: No Problem.

versuscity.net/2010/02/18/king-of-fighters-13-at-aou/
      (Versus City is a reliable source for Japanese gaming-news)
      wiki.hardedge.org/index.php/Dragon_Punch
      wiki.hardedge.org/index.php/Tier_List
      wiki.hardedge.org/index.php/Matchup
      (The Hardedge Wiki is an excellent page for gathering common knowledge of the Beat ‘Em Up Genre, since only a selected few can edit. The homepage is found either on http://wiki.hardedge.org or http://hardedge.org for the forums)
      shoryuken.com/content/america-…air-arcade-infinity-3678/
      (Shoryuken.com is known for being up to date and reliable, even though this is dependent on which topic is referred to, such as which game and what data)
      listal.com/list/console-wars
      (It doesn’t necessarily show the details of each Bit-Wars, but it roughly present which consoles were in which time)
      evo2k.com/
      (Big tournament-event for Capcom-Fighters)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von KenDeep ()

• Vielen Dank für das Pinnen des Threads. Trotz der Mangel an Feedback war es mir eine Freude, dieses Thema euch zu präsentieren. Die Facharbeit habe ich mit 12 Punkten bestanden - in Schultermen wäre es eine 2+. Schwach eigentlich :P

Nochmals vielen Dank an Shii für das Pinnen des Threads. Editing des Threads ist nicht mehr von Nöten und es darf bei Bedarf der Thread geschlossen werden. Kritik/Feedback wie gewohnt im Feedback-Fred (danke ebenso dafür an Shii!).
    • Benutzer online 1

1 Besucher